Sunday 15 March 2015

A Motivational Journey

          I just wanted to share my story with you all because I have learned that motivation, inspiration certainly takes you a long way. Motivation, inspiration can come from anyone or anything in your life. For me, it came at the right moment; when I least expected it. It certainly took me where I never imagined I could reach.
           After working with an Event Manager for 3 years, I started up my own business. The first project was in Delhi. I was truly terrified. I got into the train and searched for my seat. An elderly lady was sitting in front of me with reading glasses on. I immediately recognized her.
“Hello Meera Ma’am! Remember me?”
She looked up from her book, removed her reading glasses and smilingly said,
“Ankita Jain, right? I'm so glad to have met you!
“Same here Ma’am.” I replied.
          Meera Ma’am taught me Economics at college. She was also the chairperson of my College’s Cultural Committee. When I was selected as a volunteer, she asked me to stand for the election for the post of Cultural Secretary. I was unsure about it, but decided to give it a try.  I won the elections & I learned a lot from her and my post. She would never get angry with any of us, if we made mistakes. She would always say, “Mistakes are the proof that you are trying.”
          After this, I knew what I wanted to become. I decided to become an Event Manager.
Her question brought me to real world.
“So, where are you headed to?”
“Delhi.” I replied. “What about you, Ma’am?”
Me too. So visiting a friend or a relative?” she asked.
I explained her about my first project without hiding the fact that I was very much afraid.
I would never forget her words.
“If it is important to you, you will surely find a way. My husband & my brother died in a car accident. My brother was unmarried, so there was no one to look after my parents. I was 29 at that time. I had to support my son, in-laws and parents. All I had was my job. I was also doing my Ph.D. at that time. Life was getting difficult with every new day. I had to pay bills, repay loans, and manage being a mother, daughter-in-law, daughter and a professor. My in-laws never objected me supporting my parents. They were very supportive. At times, I had to miss my child’s annual day or a prize distribution, but he would understand. I would feel extremely helpless at times, but never gave up. The problems never stopped but I had learnt to face them. There will be obstacles. There will be doubters. There will be mistakes, but with hard work, there are no limits.”
          By the time she had finished her story, I had tears in my eyes. I had never imagined that this lady who always wore a beautiful smile on her face, this lady who always was so positive and full of life, would have experienced so many hardships.  And we feel sorry for ourselves for little things. You have to fight through bad days in order to earn the best days. Sometimes you win; sometimes you learn. There are very few people who celebrate what they have learnt as they would celebrate victory. And she was one of them.

          She had many stories to share. She told me she was visiting her son in Delhi, who is a doctor now. The day-long journey ended in no time. And I felt that I didn't just boarded this train to reach my destination; I had found the way to destination which I had always aimed to reach.

You might as well check- https://housing.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Changing Lifestyles - The Generation that is Always on the Move

Who doesn’t want to live life kingsize? I know I do! But damn the sad irony of life, the luxuries a king can enjoy I surely can’t affo...